Thursday, April 21, 2016

"Life as a Public Speaker"







I never could recall as to how I turned out to be a self-proclaimed public speaker, all I remember is that, I wanted to be able to speak well in front of others, and that's about it. Since I grew up with a family whose language consists of nothing but 80% english and just 20% tagalog, I never really did have a hard time with the english language.

I don't know how I did it or what I did to become confident in terms of my speaking skills, but I sure as hell know that I wasn't like this before. I used to suck at speaking in front of an audience or speaking in general. I never really liked when the teacher called me out in class and I had to awkwardly answer the questions she gave me.

Looking back at where I was before and comparing it to the present me, I'm quite shocked at the results. I am profoundly appalled as to how I've leanred to love and invest my time in using my speaking skills. That's why I was thrilled to hear that there was going to be a public speaking class during the third term.

Though I was so excited to finally go to my first class in the 3rd term- which is EPUBSP2- I found myself at the most unpleasant situation. Sir Deeno, my professor in EPUBSP2, asked me to step out since I realized that I wasn't enrolled yet!!! It was embarassing to have a first impression like. Still, in the end I have high hopes that Sir Deeno has changed his view of me from all the hard work I put into class.



After all those hard work and nervous breakdowns on every speech in the class, I was chosen to be one of the representatives in the Public Speaking Competition. I was so nervous! But nonetheless, enthusiastic as to what the outcome will be.

I was with five of my other blockmates, namely; Joshua Francisco, Mel Tambunan, Stephanie Kung, JM Fonacier, and Raph Caguicla. We had to make a 5 minute speech about the quote Albert Camus nade "Integrity has no need of rules". It was hard at first and I honestly didn't know where to start, but with the help of my parents, friends, and professors, I got to finish my speech.

To say, I wasn't really expecting something big on the day of the competition; I just gave it my all and hopefully pass the subject HAHAHA! But, something amazing happened! Me, Joshua and Steph got int the finals! Imagine that! three members from our block got in? Amazing, right?

Even though we didn't win in the end, I got to learn so much from just one competition and I got to spend it with these awesome and intellectual people! Congrats to us ABMA154 and as well to the other public speakers in the competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment